Sunday 2 August 2015

Looks can be deceiving


Dear world,

First of all I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has read my first blog and for all your comments...I have to say I was very overwhelmed by the responses I got. A mixture from people who knew my story, through to people I’ve not seen or heard from in years. Everyone has been so positive and I’m sorry to the people who I made cry, it definitely wasn’t my intention! I guess I’ve had 20 months to come to terms with it, whereas I suppose in less than 5 minutes of reading my blog there was A LOT of information for you to take in.

I have to say I’m feeling a bit of pressure about this blog; hopefully it will live up to my first one!! If not I’ll have to stick with the day job. I’ve been thinking long and hard about what topic to do for this one, and I feel like I have loads to share but I’m conscious I don’t want to sound like a girl on her soap box. So like I did with the first one I’ll just go with what my gut tells me, after all I am a girl who wears her heart very much on her sleeve. So here goes………..

If I had a £1 for every time I heard “you don’t look ill” (well I would definitely be able to afford more than a 2 up 2 down house in Cheshire I can tell you). I think this is one of the most frustrating things of having PH; well apart from actually trying to live “normally” day to day. I’ve learnt since the diagnosis, people have this misconstrued opinion that in order for you to be ill, you must look ill, ie. be grey, gaunt, miserable, be in a wheelchair or walk with some kind of limp. On the outside I look like any “normal” 31 year old girl, bar possibly a few more wrinkles than others. But on the inside I can tell you it’s a very different story. On a daily basis the condition causes my feet to swell so much so that they look like elephant feet, or sometimes they just get so red and ridiculously hot that it looks like I’ve just been sunbathing, wrapped my whole body in a beach towel except for my feet and burnt them! Often I get to the top of the stairs and am so out of breath my heart will be racing so fast it actually feels like it's about to jump out of my body. 

I’ve always been an independent woman, I travelled on my own for 4 months around New Zealand, Fiji and the States; I have lived on my own, dependent to no one, but now I am traumatised of a blue square card. A few months into being diagnosed with PH I was granted a disability badge. Something which even now 16 months on haunts me, and whilst I write this I can feel my heart race that bit quicker. Why you may ask? Well we live in a society where we are judged. We’ve all read the Daily Mail online at lunchtime eating our sandwiches, where the headline is “another fraudster playing the system: has a blue badge but is caught on camera being able to walk”. We all tut and think what a sponger, we all pay our taxes (well maybe not all) how can they get away with it?? I hold my hands up, I used to think exactly this way. You may laugh, but I still now when on the rare (even rarer than me having PH, which is quite rare, as I would have more of a chance of winning the jackpot of the euro millions than being diagnosed with PH) chance I actually use my blue badge, I glance around to check there isn't a Sherlock Holmes look-a-like hiding in the shadows ready with their camera to catch me out, so that tomorrow so I’ll be the one plastered on the Daily Mail website!

Seriously though, Andy gets so frustrated by me not using the blue badge. It’s meant to help ease my life but instead I’ll end up parking in the furthest away space just so I don’t get judged or looked at differently. I try to convince myself I’m not that ill, that I can walk that extra 100m even though I know in my heart of hearts I probably am over doing it, but I’d rather try and deal with the pain I cause myself rather than having someone else’s eyes judge me which lasts for far longer.

We went to Chester Races a few weeks ago (which I may add, the day after was the day I wrote my first blog). I had been looking forward to it for ages, bought myself a new dress (there is a funny story to tell about this episode which if I don’t ramble on too much now I might be able to add in at the end) did my hair all pretty and spent hours in the mirror trying to cover up my ridiculously red face, which unfortunately is one of the side effects of one of the drugs I am on. Wherever possible I try to forget I have PH, I want to be Gemma the girl who used to be a party animal, the one that would always be the last one standing, who would always demand a dance off with any girl or boy who tried to challenge me, always up for a laugh and the impulsive one who got so drunk she thought it would be a great idea at 2am to book a flight to Canada for the following morning, to go and sit in a boat watching barefoot waterskiers for a week. True story. And in case you were wondering I did make the flight at 7am hungover and feeling extremely sorry for myself.

So we arrived at Chester Races and I realised quite quickly I was going to be in trouble, we were in the posh bit apparently but it was all standing, no seats. Going back to an earlier comment, my feet when standing for any longer than say 5 minutes get so swollen and become incredibly painful. After a lot of walking back and forth from the bar to the betting stations my body just started to give up. Which when you are surrounded by 50,000 people it’s not the best situation to be in. Luckily for me I have the best boyfriend in the world who can read my thoughts and he went on the hunt to get me a seat. So we ended up in the disabled bit. Well you can imagine my thoughts, “girl at races, in heels walking, takes up seat in the disabled area”. Definitely, I was going to be in the Daily Mail on Sunday morning. I got a few stares from the security people who were blocking the entrance to the disabled areas as though it was the VIP place. I managed to ignore the stares for a bit and got back to having fun at the races and cheering on my one horse that won . Then this guy who clearly hadn’t seen the big wheelchair sign tried to come in and grab a seat. The lady in charge very kindly informed him that the area was only for disabled people. He looked at me and that look of pain came stabbing in my heart as he shouted to anyone who would listen “well what about those 4 over there, they aren’t disabled, they are clearly playing the game.” All I wanted was the ground to swallow me up, the looks we got as though we were frauds. I wished for that second I had an illness that was known that you could say I have this or I have that and then people understand, but alas, PH isn’t well known or heard of so people don’t understand how simple living can cause great pain. From then on I couldn’t fight off the demons in my head, “you aren’t normal, you can’t do normal task anymore”. Unfortunately it ruined the rest of the day for me and I’ll admit I did have a weep on the train back thinking if only people could understand for one second what we with PH have to live with.

When I was newly diagnosed I met a lovely girl Sarah, and it became apparent quite quickly we have very similar interests and dreams for the future and also were the same age, so we had a close connection. Sarah has been a great support to me and a great confidant when this disease makes you hit rock bottom. She has a different type of PH to me, as there are quite a few different versions of PH, all still the same incurable disease but hers is secondary which means hers was developed due to another condition she has, whereas mine is primary which basically means it has formed on its own. You may remember from my last blog, mine is called Idiopathic which in a nutshell basically means they have absolutely no idea why I have it! Helpful when you are trying to come to terms why I am one of the 3,000 people with the condition! Not!

So I went to see Sarah a few months ago when unfortunately she was back in hospital due to her lung collapsing and she was asking how I was coping with PH and I mentioned how tired I get from doing normal chores etc. She suggested that I start using my wheelchair more. Now as we have learnt already I am traumatised by having a blue badge so you can guess I am even more traumatised by being in a wheelchair. I feel like it defines me and again the whole judgment by other people seeing me differently than if I was standing up.

Now a funny story (I mean we haven’t had a laugh for a bit yet have we?!) we drove to the Trafford Centre and tried to find a disabled space, well they were all full! There was a space next to them that wasn’t a disabled spot and Andy said “just go into that one”. I instantly snapped at him and said “if I’m going in my wheelchair I am going to use a disabled spot”. So we spent about half an hour driving round the Trafford Centre to find a space! Total waste of our time granted but it was the principal of the matter, I had to have one perk to actually using my wheelchair.

Anyway I digress. So we had come to find a dress for the races. So off we go Andy pushing me, I think he likes pushing me as most people who know me know I am the bossy one out of the two of us. Normally I’m dragging him into lots of shops, this time though he got to ignore my pleas of going where I wanted to and he just ignored me and took me where he wanted to go! So in the end we arrive in John Lewis and one thing these shops aren’t designed for is to have a wheelchair go around the racks. I think we may have run over a few clothes that were on the floor and at one point I thought I might drag a whole rack with me as one of the hooks got caught on the chair! In the end I got so frustrated with saying to Andy “slow down” or “go back to that rack” or “turn left” or “turn right” I got out of my wheelchair and started to walk around. Well the looks I got from people. Quickly I shouted out “it’s a miracle, I can walk!” Andy and I had a good giggle to ourselves and it was probably the first time I actually didn’t care what people thought of me for being “disabled”.


Gem xx




No comments:

Post a Comment